Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Blog objectives

I write to educate you on Topical Steroid Withdrawal (TSW) and to share openly with you my journey as I battle to recover from my addiction to steroids. I wish upon all to be sparred from this horrifying process that I went through. I would approach anyone who crosses my path whom I suspect is addicted to steroids. I can recognise just by the look of it! The pinkish, thin and damaged skin. Unmistakable! Yes I have many times approached strangers to share about TSW. 

My purpose to blog is to empower you with this knowledge. However I am in no capacity to convince or persuade you to proceed on this route. Withdrawal is a painful and very difficult process. Some speak of estranged relationships with their spouses, family members, depression, loss of jobs, financial difficulties... Many are discouraged as healing doesn't comes as expected. I am lying if I tell you all who embarked on this journey have surmounted and conquered the monster. Many in fact have dropped out and returned to steroids.... 

The decision whether to withdraw is really personal. Be empowered with this knowledge and make an informed decision of what you want to do with your health/life. Read up and consider if withdrawal is for you. Do you see yourself using steroids for the rest of your life? If the answer is a clear no, then ask yourself if you have enough support to help you through the withdrawal. Perhaps you need a supportive caregiver to look after your basic needs as even some simple household chores can be too daunting. Perhaps you are the sole bread winner and taking time off work is not possible. Is your mind strong enough to surmount pain and are you willing to "give up" the next few years of quality life to heal? Do you believe that the short term pain will bring about long term gain? Are you able to take disappointments should you fail to heal as fast as you wished? The list of things to consider can be endless....

As for me, I chose the way of withdrawal. I chose the painful way of managing without the fast fixing effect of steroids which could cause long term damage to my health. I do not wish to prolong the continual use of this drug on me. Its a personal decision that I have taken and stuck by. This path is a lonely one as I have to fight against my loved ones and well meaning friends who disapprove of the stand against steroids. 

To me, the decision is all worth it. Having seen what steroids did to my body, I am resolved never to use it to treat skin rash/eczema on myself or my children. I have a  firm belief that given time and appropriate natural help, the skin is able to heal on its own. If only we can be a little more patient and allow time to heal.... 

xo

No comments: